Thursday, January 12, 2012

contrast


Andy hates soda (any carbonated beverage, really), and I rarely drink it, but there was something so appealing about Coke in glass bottles and the idea of drinking them with old fashioned paper straws.

I couldn't resist.

They ended up sitting in our fridge for months (like I said, we aren't exactly soda people), until I had a major craving after work today (I've been feeling homesick, so it was bound to hit). As I sat on the couch reading and watching the sun go down, I was struck by the juxtaposition of the Arabic script on the bottle and our Chicago map coasters. Abu Dhabi is a land of contrasts (sand/sea, tradition/modernity, luxury/poverty), and our apartment is no exception.


PS - If you haven't been able to tell (and, judging from the comments of family and friends, I'm sure you have) it's been mostly me, Emy, writing this blog. And I haven't been doing a very good job of it. But there isn't a whole lot of this adventure left -- 18 months is nothing! So we need to revamp/rethink a bit. The goal is to post here at least once a week from this point on, with some Andy-authored posts finally in the mix. (Yay! He's already been working on a "Top Five" Abu Dhabi about some of the main attractions.) I'd also like to share a bit more of actual daily life with you all, including that thing I do all day. We hope you'll stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment