Monday, January 16, 2012

day job: week of jan. 7

Last week in Kindergarten* . . .

. . . we enjoyed the beautiful weather and went outside to explore foam shapes on the easel. (We dipped the shapes in water to make them stick.)

Someone made a lion with her shapes!

We practiced writing with markers on the whiteboards . . .

. . . and with our fingers in some colored sand.

Some of us drew portraits of our friends . . .

. . . while others played with playdough.

One person pretended to be the teacher . . . 

. . . while another pretended to be someone else :)

Our favorite game of the week was "In the Box," a Mrs. Emy original. (What else?)

Some of us liked getting ALL the way in!**

During math time we worked with partners to sort cubes into equal groups . . .

. . . then we turned our cubes into patterns!

And when we were finished with our work, we put everything back in its place.
Sometimes on our own . . .

. . . and sometimes with a little help.

So there you have it -- a few glimpses into our first post-break week. Hope you enjoyed seeing some of what we do all day.

xo, emy



*Kindergarten I (or KG1) is like preschool here. While the kids do come everyday, they're still just three and four years old. I try to incorporate as much play- and sensory-based learning as possible, though I'm also currently required to teach sight words and letter-of-the-week, do guided reading sessions, and issue worksheets as homework. Like anywhere, it's a balance between doing what I'm told and "doing my thing." So to speak.

**Lest you think this wasn't educational, here was the point: The children were practicing the short /i/ sound and a new sight word, "in", as well as learning positional language (in English). They needed to take turns, and they were cheering and laughing with their classmates. In fact, they were all having so much fun that every single student wanted a turn and actively participated the entire time.  In one lesson, we hit literacy, numeracy, social studies, and, of course, foreign language. A small miracle, if I do say so myself :)


2 comments:

  1. Hehe, I scoffed out loud when I read what they are requiring you to do in KG1. Looks like your kids are having fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emy and Andy - I figured I could post here to both of you so that I could thank you for the wonderful Christmas slippers and the bath salts and other Santa Emy/Andy gifts. I love my slippers, I love my Emys and my Andys, I love my Krauspe family Christmas times, I LOVE MY LIFE!!!! I guess I could have gone to your email link, but this is so much more fun and besides you don't have to repost this.
    xxxxxooooo - jm

    ReplyDelete